If you ever wanted another Shaq-Fu, you now have a chance to fund it. Shaq-Fu is consistently considered one of the worst games of all-time and it is just amazing that Shaq wants to make another version of the game but it’s Shaq and he can do what he wants.
Shaq is no dummy though. Shaq is doing a crowdsourcing effort to fund the game. The possible future sequel doesn’t pull any punches. It even admits that the first game wasn’t even good.
In 1994, a well-known publisher released a fighting game starring a then 22-year old basketball superstar by the name of Shaquille O’ Neal. Capitalizing on his immense popularity, the publisher allowed the game to be released with numerous shortcomings. In many circles, the game has become a cult-classic, attaining the status of “so bad its good” and even prompting one fan to dedicate a website, ShaqFu.com to the destruction of all remaining copies of the game.
The new developer is claiming that this game will not have the shortcomings of the past title. If their resume has anything to do with it, they have a pretty impressive list of games that they worked on. The company is Big Deez Productions and they worked on games like HALO, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Alan Wake, Spec Ops: The Line, Battlefield, Killzone, Max Payne, Duke Nukem, and others. I must say that is an impressive line-up and I am curious if they really can make a quality Shaq-Fu.
The description of the game on Indiegogo states:
- Play as Shaq as he kicks ass and takes no prisoners
- Intricately designed combo system that leaves room for a variety of fighting tactics. Learn the moves and let Shaq rip against his enemies
- Pimp your character with new moves and abilities. Select from different fighting styles or combine styles and create your own new discipline (Shaq FU is what you make it)
- Challenges for even the best players.
- Adaptive AI keeps the game exciting
- Battles against hordes of enemies in the tradition of the lost art of the beat ‘em up. I mean, who could take Shaq one on one?
- Take the challenge up to an entirely new level in unforgettable smack downs against awesome bosses.
- Once you beat a boss you unlock him and can play as him in the game.
- Fight through the slums of Asian cities, on the rooftops of skyscrapers. Battle it out inside buildings, seedy night clubs, and cause mayhem in the markets.
- Smash an enemy through the floor and leap down to a lower level. Barge through walls and forge your own path. Smash furniture, toss enemies through windows, even collapse structures – when you are the Shaqbreaker everything is possible
- A wide variety of melee and projectile weapons as well as various everyday objects that can be used as weapons – katanas, shurikens, baseball bats, the occasional basketball filled with the wrong type of gas, bottles, knives and dozens more. Don’t see a weapon you like? What about that manhole cover or that car door? You are Shaq after all, so maybe you want to hurl that motorcycle on a bunch of enemies at once. The world is your projectile.
- Wipe out huge numbers of enemies at once. Bowl down enemies with balls of steel, create earthquakes of unprecedented power, slam dunk baddies with ease.
- Modifiers that change your appearance and enhance your skills. Transform into the monstrous Big Daddy O and crush your enemies. Twirl into the Big Baryshnikov and pirouette your enemies like a tornado tearing through Kansas. Power up into the Big Diesel and steamroll your enemies into Kobe-Patties. A power-up for every nickname Shaq has ever had, and a few new ones for good measure.
- Co-op Gameplay. Grab a friend and battle it out in tandem. Play as Shaq’s identical twin (no he doesn’t sell insurance) or select from a host of other playable characters with different skills and power-ups. Split screen action available, baby!
- Co-op’s not your bag? Build up your character and fighting style and duke it out online or on the same machine against another player.
- Once you have played through the main game revisit it to discover secret environments that you might have missed.
- Think its over once the Black Star Ninja, is unmasked? Think again. Hosts of challenges await that pit you against the best Shaq Fu’s in the world.